State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement that U.S. citizens and others eligible to join the convoy will head to Saudi Arabia, where personnel are stationed to facilitate emergency travel.
The US State Department said Sunday that Washington and its multinational partners have helped about 1000, Americans leave Sudan since armed clashes broke out between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces in the capital Khartoum and other cities.
State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement that U.S. citizens and others eligible to join the convoy would head to Saudi Arabia, where personnel are stationed to facilitate emergency travel.
The Extension Of The Humanitarian Truce In Sudan
Earlier on Sunday, the two parties to the armed conflict in Sudan, army commander Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo (Hemedti) announced the extension of the humanitarian truce in Sudan for an additional 72 hours from midnight, with the aim of opening humanitarian corridors and facilitating the movement of citizens and residents.
Hundreds have been killed and thousands wounded in Sudan since April 15, when a long-running power struggle between the army and the RSF flared up.